Nov. 12 – 4:30 p.m.
Sitting in the press box at Macalester waiting for the start of the women’s soccer game vs. Northwestern.
It was a tough match for the volleyball team in the first round. They got matched up against a team that was very athletic and had a dominant net player. The match could literally have gone either way but unfortunately the Cobbers lost 3-0.
That is the strange thing about volleyball, you can play great but if you lose key points at the end of a set you have nothing to show for it. It is kind of like the NBA in the fact that the teams just stay close for three quarters and then the outcome is decided in the final minutes of play. The first two sets against the Pirates were that way. The teams stayed close until the final points. The teams were tied at 22-22, then 23-23 and finally 24-24. Both teams had set points and came up empty. Then Whitworth won two straight points and won the set.
It was harsh for the Cobbers and they put up a good fight in the third but were in too big of a hole and lost.
The only good thing about the end result is that Concordia doesn’t have any seniors so there was no “end of the career” emotions. The team was sad but I think they were comforted by the fact that it is more like a halfway point in their two-season journey. Hopefully they will all be back and return with a sense of purpose.
A couple of observations from the match:
- It was a great NCAA Tournament match. Two very good teams playing hard. Both teams fought off nerves at the start and then made great plays from the second set on.
- Once again I am amazed at how well the Concordia fan travel. On a match played at 12:30 on a Friday, Concordia had at least 50 fans and all were very supportive. It makes my job easier knowing that there are so many caring parents out there.
- Volleyball would be a tough game to coach because there are so many changes and shifts in momentum.
- And again I am amazed at the quality of coaches and people that Tim and Bob are. Concordia is very lucky to have those two at the helm of the program. Seven trips to the NCAA Tournament in the last eight years – enough said!
- Whitworth (Pirates) had a great team cheer as they would yell “arrrgh” at certain times.
- The new St. Thomas facility is ridonkulous – that is all I can say about it.